Convictions will stay on your record for life, but luckily, there are things you can do to seal it or at least prevent it from having a negative effect on your life.

The number one thing you can do to eliminate the stigma of a criminal conviction is to get it sealed through a Record Suspension. A Record Suspension is the same as a pardon.

Limitations of sealing convictions

The reason we say convictions will stay on your record for life is because there are limitations to a Record Suspension.

  • Record Suspensions don’t erase convictions. They seal them in a separate database.
  • Records are unsealed if offences are committed after receiving the Record Suspension.
  • For certain types of jobs, a record of sexual offences could be revealed. These jobs involve working in positions of trust with children or vulnerable adults.
  • The US government does not recognize Canadian pardons. You cannot erase or seal your record from their systems.

What affect can convictions have on your life

If you have a conviction on your record, it could turn up in a background check. Many people don’t realize they need a Record Suspension until it’s too late. For example, they’ve lost their job and now they are being asked for background checks from potential employers. If you have convictions on your record, you should apply as soon as possible. Convictions can turn up when you are:

  • Applying for job
  • Filling out a rental application
  • Applying for a business licence
  • Volunteering
  • Running for a board or local government position
  • Adopting or seeking custody in a family law matter

There are many ways that convictions can affect your life. If you have a Record Suspension, you can apply for these opportunities with confidence.

Crossing the border with convictions

If you want to visit the United States, you may not be eligible depending on your record. The US border can deny you entry if you have a conviction that is considered “moral turpitude.” Moral turpitude is a legal concept that can be hard to understand. If you have a DUI you will usually have no problem crossing the border. For other types of records, give us a call so that we can advise you.

If you have a crime of moral turpitude on your record, or you have been denied entry in the past, you will need a US Entry Waiver. The application for a US Entry Waiver is similar to the pardon application. Many clients choose to pursue these two applications together. The difference is that a Record Suspension is permanent (as long as you don’t re-offend), but the US Entry Waiver must be renewed. A US Waiver is good for one to five years.

What happens if you do nothing?

If you do nothing about your record, it will continue to searchable by employers and others. However, they need your consent to conduct a record check.

If your record turns up, you could be denied opportunities.

Sealing your record helps you put the past behind you and move on with your career, travel dreams and other opportunities. If you would like to get started, please contact us for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366.