You may not have heard, but on December 18, 2018 Canada passed Bill C-46, which means a border official is now much more limited in the ability to let you cross without increased scrutiny. Previously a border official could simply determine someone with a past DUI to be “deemed rehabilitated” if more than 10 years had passed since the completion of their sentence–this is no longer an option.

That said, you still have options to get across the border and into Canada with a DUI.

First, a little background as to why the government decided to pass Bill C-46. As many of you know, Canada legalized recreational cannabis on October 17, 2018. Bill C-46 was created as a way to strengthen impaired driving legislation to encompass the legalization of marijuana and the dangers of driving under the influence of this new legal substance. Under the new law, maximum DUI sentences in Canada have been increased from 2 years to 10 years, which has major implications, especially for foreigners wanting to enter Canada with a DUI.

So how does someone looking to enter Canada with a DUI go about it? Well, the answer is in fact fairly straightforward–you contact AllCleared. We have been helping Americans enter Canada for over two decades. Our case managers understand the complexities of the recent law changes and what options are available to you for your particular situation.

Some people are under the impression a DUI is considered a misdemeanor, not true in Canada and when a foreigner travels into Canada, Canada’s rules apply. So, put aside about what you know about the law in the US and let your case manager explain the rules of visiting Canada with a criminal record. We want you to be successful and we will do everything in our power to help you get to where you need to go.

As with every country, foreigners are treated under the toughest of standards when entering into a country, not of their origin—Canada is no different. With the new legislation, all DUI convictions outside the country are considered indictable and serious offenses.

Why trust AllCleared? We were the first pardon company in all of Canada, established in 1989. We know the intricate differences between an Urgent TRP (Temporary Resident Permit), TRP, and Rehabilitation. Our expertise lets us guide you through the entire Canadian Entry Waiver application process with ease and confidence. All you need to do is contact us, today.

One of our team members will chat with you, gather information essential to getting you the service you need based on your situation. It really is that easy. Once we have your information, we set the whole process in motion so you are that much closer to your goal of getting into Canada.

There are several ways to enter into Canada despite your criminal record. Unless you have a very compelling reason to enter Canada that provides the country with an economic gain, you can apply for an Urgent Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) emergency-purposes only, which usually involves a humanitarian concern, such as a death in the family. This is always a risky option as it is entirely up to the border officer as to whether or not your reason is valid. You can be turned away at the border with a Temporary TRP.

At AllCleared we are well versed on your options and offer you the service you need based on your needs. We walk you through the entire process and ensure all the required documentation is completed and sent off to the appropriate departments.

Contact us today and experience the freedom of limitless travel across the border for work, play, or family. Everyone deserves a fresh start, begin yours, today.