Ahhhh summer! It’s here. Unless you are one of those fortunate souls who live in a warm sunny climate all year round, summer means the final arrival of bright sunny days filled with outdoor activities—maybe even a road trip or two. One of the hottest (pun intended) things to do these days is attend music festivals and (as they say) “fuel your soul with absolute bliss”. You can do it any way you please from glamping to Airbnb, but if you have a DUI or any other criminal record and want to cross the border into Canada, you won’t be hitting one of Canada’s top 20 music festivals before you die, unless you get yourself a Canadian Entry Waiver.

Music is very personal–with over 10 different genres to choose from and who knows how many artists are in each category, that makes room for some very specific music tastes. It’s been said music is a universal language, it can evoke emotions within us from only a few chords. Perhaps that’s why concerts and music festivals have such an enormous draw. People from around-the-globe travel to Canada for some serious sounds and a whole lot of fresh air. But before you pack your bags and hit the road, there are a few things you need to know about Canadian DUI laws.

In Canada, unlike the US, a DUI is considered a criminal offence. This may be confusing for some of you living in the states where a DUI is considered a misdemeanor. DUIs have always been considered a serious offence in Canada, but as of December 18, 2018 the Canadian government has made it even more difficult to enter the country with a DUI.

Bill C-46 was passed to strengthen impaired driving legislation. Under this new law, maximum sentences in Canada were increased to 10 years. With the Canadian legalization of recreational cannabis on October 17, 2019 the government felt they had to implement new impaired driving legislation. Bill C-46 was their answer. In the past, a border official could simply determine an individual with a past DUI to be “deemed rehabilitated” if more than 10-years had passed since the completion of their sentence. This is no longer true. A DUI will almost certainly inhibit your ability to cross the border unless you deal with it in advance.

There are several ways to enter into Canada despite your criminal record. At AllCleared, we offer what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) for those of you looking to become admissible into Canada for a temporary amount of time. A TRP can be issued for up to three years with multiple entries allowed. A TRP is a short-term solution and you can renew a TRP, but it must be done in Canada.

A TRP is one solution if you are inadmissible to Canada, but if you want to make repeat visits to the country, a permanent option is Criminal Rehabilitation. This application can be made five years after the completion of your sentence, and once you are approved, you will have more freedom to visit Canada as you wish. The application takes a bit longer than a TRP, but if you are eligible, it’s a good option.

It’s important to note, you can apply for an urgent TRP while you await your Criminal Rehabilitation application. This can get you into the country in as little as 4-6 weeks.

At AllCleared, we know how important it is to you and your family to have the freedom of travel and not let your past hold you back. Our track record is proven, this company was founded 30 years ago on the principle that everyone deserves a fresh start. If you are looking for yours, all you need to do is contact us, today. We will walk you through the entire process and give you your best options so you can start planning that long-awaited holiday.

For those of you who want to know more about what music festivals you can check out in Canada, follow this link for more information.

Contact us today and experience the freedom of limitless travel across the border for work, play, or family. Everyone deserves a fresh start, begin yours, today.