Knowing if you need a record purge or if you have received a discharge can be confusing, to say the least.

record purge is needed when you have been charged, fingerprinted, or arrested and the charge was dismissed, stayed, or withdrawn. The information about this arrest is still kept on file along with your fingerprints. Even though you were not found guilty, this charge still appears on your criminal record and is visible to employers, volunteer agencies, and the police.

A discharge results when you are found guilty of a crime but not convicted due to special circumstances. There are two types of discharges, absolute and conditional. An absolute discharge means your record will be removed automatically. A conditional discharge means that your record will be removed so long as you meet the specific requirements set out by the court. If you fail to meet these conditions, a pardon will be required to remove your record.  If you received a discharge after July 24, 1992, the record will be automatically removed.

In order to get your record destroyed, we must obtain documents and petition both the arresting police force and Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) to destroy your file.

If you have received a discharge or if you are not sure what the outcome of your charge was, we can carry out a criminal record search to determine the next step.

Don’t wait, take the next step and call Pardon Services Canada today. Or visit our site at where you can talk to a specialist online.