**Updated and edited November 2019

Everyone lives for the holidays! The downtime, the sun, and fun. As of late, there has been increased media awareness of the dangers of travelling to the United States with a Canadian criminal record after an ever-growing number of Canadians being turned away at the border. Canadians with past convictions need a US Entry Waiver to cross the border for a hassle-free crossing. Which leads many to wonder about Canada’s other NAFTA partner, the one with the beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, gorgeous resorts, and spectacular ruins? Are these also off limits to Canadians with a criminal record? Can a Canadian denied entry to the US also be denied entry to Mexico?

According to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada,

“Canadians travelling to Mexico with a criminal record might be refused entry and returned to Canada on the next available flight. Canadians in this situation should contact the Mexican Embassy in Ottawa prior to making travel arrangements.”


“Since March 1, 2010, Canadian citizens, including those with dual nationality, are required to present a valid passport in order to enter and exit Mexico. Canadians without a valid passport will be refused entry and returned to Canada.”

It’s becoming more and more apparent that any Canadian who has a criminal record should take measures before planning a trip to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, or any other stunning Mexican retreat to avoid getting turned away at the border. Nothing can be worse than having to say goodbye to a well-planned vacation, especially after all the money you’ve spent.

It’s also extremely important to note that even though Mexico has a less stringent screening process than the United States; Canadians with a criminal record face another threat. There are many testimonies of people going to Mexico for a vacation or on business and stopping over in Houston, Los Angeles, or any other US city and having issues. When they lay-over in these American hubs they are questioned and in many cases, have been sent back to Canada due to their criminal record. This is a result of the Information Sharing Acts between Canada and the US. You can read more about these regulations in this article.

Don’t get turned away from your well-deserved holiday or business trip in Mexico or on your trip through the States. You can start by getting a record suspension (Canadian pardon) to remove your existing criminal record from the CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) database and then apply for a US Entry Waiver and secure that long-awaited and well-planned holiday of your dreams.

If you have any questions or need a FREE consultation, give us a call at 1-866-972-7366, we are here to help.