If you want to enter Canada with a DUI or other criminal record, you may require a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). A TRP can be good for up to three years. However, this does not mean you will receive a three-year TRP. The officials will consider your record and your reason for travel and determine the TRP expiration date.

A TRP can have multiple entries. However, if you are not issued a TRP with multiple entries, you will have to apply for a new TRP each time you want to visit or apply for rehabilitation.

Five years after the completion of your sentence, you may be eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation. This is a permanent solution, which means once it’s granted you do not have to apply for a TRP in order to enter Canada. After 10 years, you may be considered “deemed” rehabilitated. This means that you can enter Canada; however, you may need to show documentation to prove that you have completed your sentence over 10 years ago.

A TRP is necessary if you completed your sentence less than five years ago or if you do not have time to apply for criminal rehabilitation.

When does a TRP expire?

The TRP expiration date will be determined by the reviewing officer. For example, if you were intending to go to a one-day conference, you might be issued a TRP just for the day. If your reason for travel was to visit a close family member in a long-term care facility, you might receive multiple entries for up to three years.

If your TRP is for only one visit, it will expire as soon as you leave the country regardless of the expiration date.

Applying for a TRP in Canada

If you are in Canada and you want to apply for a new TRP, you can stay in the country as long as your TRP is not expired when you apply. If your TRP application is rejected, you must leave the country immediately.

If you haven’t made a new application, you must leave the country before your TRP expires. It can be very difficult to get back in if you overstay your permit.

TRP for work or study

If you have a criminal record and would like to work or study in Canada, you must apply for both the TRP and the work or study permit. The TRP will generally be issued for the length of work or study. If it isn’t, apply for a new TRP before the initial one expires.

Passport and TRP expiration

You cannot get a TRP that lasts longer than the validity of your passport. If you need a TRP for six months and your passport expires in four months, you should renew your passport before applying.

If you would like more information about entering Canada with a DUI or other criminal record, contact AllCleared for a free consultation on TRPs, Criminal Rehabilitation and your eligibility to enter Canada at 1-866-972-7366.