Americans in the Film & Television Industry Can Work in Hollywood North Despite Their Criminal Record

Hollywood North has been a booming business in and around Vancouver for over three decades, from X-Files to Deadpool, Vancouver has proven time and again, just how perfect it is for the film industry to set up shop. According to Creative BC, the 2017-18 fiscal year saw over 450 productions generate $3.4 billion for the BC economy—supporting over 60,000 workers. That’s big business. It’s safe to say a lot of the employees are Canadian, but it comes as no surprise that US residents make up a significant portion of the film crews and talent.

So, what does that mean for those Americans who have a criminal record, but need to get to a location in Canada? Can they travel across the border to meet their rigorous shooting schedule? The answer, of course, is yes. First, you need to know your options.

Traveling into Canada with a criminal record can be complex, especially if you don’t know your choices, that’s why calling AllCleared is your best option. AllCleared has 30 years of expertise helping people with a past criminal record travel into Canada for work or recreation. Not only are we fully aware of all the possible ways to travel to Canada, we know the best option for your situation.

The Canadian Government deems anyone with a criminal record inadmissible to enter into Canada. This puts a lot of added stress on American film and television crew members and talent who are looking to work on productions north of the border. And we know, Vancouver has long been the third largest centre in North America for film and television production, coming right behind Los Angeles and New York City—that means if you want to work, you need to be able to freely enter Canada.

Since 1989, AllCleared has been helping individuals with past criminal records, start fresh. This means we have the knowledge to help you move forward in your life whether that be through employment travel into or through Canada, or for a personal vacation.

We offer what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) for those of you looking to become admissible into Canada for a temporary amount of time. A TRP can be issued for up to three years with multiple entries allowed. A TRP is a short-term solution and you can renew a TRP, but it must be in Canada.

A TRP is one solution if you are inadmissible to Canada, but if you want to make repeat visits to the country, a permanent option is Criminal Rehabilitation. This application can be made five years after the completion of your sentence, and once you are approved, you will have more freedom to visit Canada. The application takes a bit longer than a TRP, but if you are eligible, it’s a good option.

It’s important to note, you can apply for an urgent TRP, while you await your Criminal Rehabilitation application. This can get you into the country in as little as 4-6 weeks. If you are scheduled to shoot on location in Canada, now you can plan ahead.

To further understand your options, contact us today and find out your best solution to get into Canada quicker than you would with any other company. It’s time for you to remove the ban on travel to Canada because of your record.

About the Author:

Leave A Comment