A Canadian work permit is usually required if you are a foreign national who wants to work in Canada. First you will need to demonstrate that you are admissible to Canada. Some requirements are:

  • You will leave Canada when your work permit expires
  • There is no prior criminal record
  • You have not previously misrepresented yourself on any immigration application or interview
  • Your health is good (a medical examination may be necessary)

If you are inadmissible, you cannot apply for a work permit. For example, a person was convicted of assault in the home country. Therefore, he cannot receive a work permit. He is inadmissible to Canada.

Other Canadian work permit requirements

Employer eligibility: You cannot work for an employer that has been banned from employing foreign workers. An employer can be banned for non-compliance with immigration legislation.

Type of work: You cannot work for an employer that offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages.

Time limits: You cannot have worked for one or more periods that total four years in Canada since April 2011. For example, you have worked in Canada legally for two periods. The first period was one year. The second period was also one year. In this case, you can still apply for a work permit. You would have two years remaining on the four year limit. Once you reach the four year limit, you will need to wait a total of four years before you are eligible to receive a work permit again.

As always, it’s important to follow the rules. Unauthorized work can have stiff penalties. It’s a good idea to get advice on your application to ensure that it’s correct. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-866-972-7366.