If you are inadmissible to Canada due to past criminal activity, you may be eligible to come to Canada on a temporary resident permit depending on how much time has passed since you have completed your sentences and the nature of your convictions. Regardless of the type of application you are eligible for, the Canadian Consulate requires an initial Application Fee (known as the Canada Rehabilitation Application Fee) of $200 CAD for your Canadian immigration.

The most common reason for criminal inadmissibility is a DUI charge. People with more than 1 or more recent DUI convictions are likely to be turned away from entering Canada. Other crimes that can cause criminal inadmissibility include theft, reckless driving and assault.

To see what type of application package you may be eligible for, see TRP or Apply For Criminal Rehabilitation?




What is the Canada Rehabilitation Application Fee?

To apply for rehabilitation, the fee is $200 CAD, and payable directly to the Canadian Consulate. You will need to show proof of this payment before your application is processed. If you are eligible to apply, the following applications require proof of payment for the fee:

  1. Temporary Resident Applications (Non-Serious Criminality Fee);
  2. Individual Criminal Rehabilitation Application (Non-Serious Criminality Fee);
  3. Deemed Rehabilitation Application Fee  (Non-Serious Criminality Fee).

After a preliminary review of a submitted application, the Canadian Consulate may request an additional Fee of $800 CAD, referred to as the Serious Criminality Fee to ensure you’re 100% deemed rehabilitated. This additional fee does not include the fee of $200 CAD.


How do I know if I will have to Pay the Serious Criminality Fee?

The decision to request for the additional Serious Criminality Fee of $800 CAD is solely at the discretion of a senior official who will be reviewing your application. The additional fee may be requested anywhere from three weeks to two months after you have submitted your application and paid the initial fee. The official reviewing your application may also request additional documentation along with the additional payment. Typically, you have 30 days to pay the Fee once it is requested by the Consulate. Extensions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.


How do I know if the Serious Criminality Fee will be applied to my application for criminal rehabilitation?

In order to determine whether or not you are likely to have to pay the serious criminality fee, please see the criteria for ‘Serious Criminality’ 


How Do I Pay the Canada Rehabilitation Fee/ Serious Criminality Fee?

If you are currently located outside of Canada, you may visit the Government of Canada’s online payment portal to pay the applicable fees.


What If I Was Deported from Canada? Do I have to pay the Canadian Rehabilitation Application Fee?

No. You will need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)  application. The fee for this application is $400 CAD. Find out more information on how to come back to Canada with a criminal record after deportation here.

Further information can also be found at CBSA, US customs, and the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) website on past records or convictions.


If you would like to enter Canada with a DUI on a temporary resident basis or other serious criminality, contact AllCleared today for a free consultation at 1 (866) 972-7366 before applying for criminal rehabilitation.