Frequently asked questions

Get started

Customer service FAQs

We have an office located in VancouverCalgaryEdmontonTorontoOttawa and Montreal. However, you don’t need to live in these cities to access our services. Learn more.

AllCleared handles your personal information with the strictest standards of confidentiality. We guarantee absolute privacy of your personal information and are bound by the Federal Privacy Act. Learn more. 

AllCleared is experienced in pardons (Record Suspensions), US Entry Waivers and entering Canada with a criminal record. We have been helping clients since 1989. Learn more. 

There are several ways that you will be updated on the progress of your file. Our service includes a state of the art records management system. This system tracks your file activity. Learn more. 

Yes, you can have your questions answered over the phone. Our initial consultation is free. During this time, we will answer all your questions about pardons and waivers and let you know if you may be eligible. Learn more.

You should retain AllCleared’s services if you want to save time and ensure that your application is full and complete. AllCleared processes files faster. We can save you time on your application and help you get cleared faster for work, travel, education or volunteering. Learn more.

The success rate for applications filed by AllCleared is excellent. At AllCleared, we value your time and resources and understand that you value success. Learn more. 

The difference between the Standard and Expedited services is the level of service is higher and the processing time is quicker. AllCleared offers two levels of service for Record Suspensions, US Entry Waivers and Canadian entry applications. Learn more. 

Criminal record FAQs

You have a criminal record if you committed an offence as an adult and were convicted in a court of law. If you are over the age of 18 and have been convicted of a criminal offence, you do have a criminal record.  Learn more. 

To seal a criminal record you need to make an application to the Parole Board of Canada. A Record Suspension means the criminal record is removed from police databases. Learn more.

No, you may not be bondable with a criminal record. However, you may be able to become bondable with a Record Suspension. If a company asks if you are bondable, you must answer “no” if you have a criminal record. Learn more. 

You can get a job with a criminal record, but it might become an obstacle if a background check is required. Many employers, particularly in large organizations, will run a criminal record check before hiring a new person. Learn more. 

Yes, in some cases a landlord can ask for a criminal record check. Even if you are a great tenant with good references, your criminal record may make your potential landlord think twice. Learn more. 

Yes, you can become a Canadian citizen if you have a criminal record. However, the path will be more complicated. The Government of Canada takes note of convictions both inside the country and outside. Learn more.

Yes, you may be able to get permanent residency if you have a criminal record. However, you should apply for a Record Suspension or Criminal Rehabilitation first. Learn more. 

You may have a criminal record with a discharge if it happened less than three years ago. A conditional discharge is not a conviction, but it is evidence of guilt. As a matter of law, it will appear on your criminal record for three years. Learn more. 

Yes, you can travel to Europe with a criminal record as long as the country you are visiting will allow it. A Record Suspension can increase your chances of being allowed entry. Learn more. 

A summary offence is a less serious offence. It’s similar to the American concept of “misdemeanour”, but not exactly the same. In Canada, criminal offences are divided into two major categories: summary or indictable. Learn more. 

An indictable offence is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada that carries more serious penalties. This often includes jail time. If you were convicted of an indictable offence, you must wait 10 years after the completion of your sentence before requesting a pardon. Learn more.

When a criminal record can be expunged depends on the nature of the record. A criminal conviction record stays with you unless you take steps to receive a Record Suspension, also called a pardon. Learn more. 

Yes, your military record can be pardoned after the Record Suspension process. When your criminal record is suspended, your service record will also be amended. Learn more. 

Yes, a criminal record can affect adoption. It is recommended that you apply for a Canadian pardon (Record Suspension) before you make an application. Learn more. 

If you have been charged but not convicted of a criminal offence, you may still have a criminal record. These charges can show up as dismissed, withdrawn, stayed, or discharged on your federal criminal record. Learn more. 

You may need to have your police file deleted if it is still showing up on record checks. A Police File Deletion is a process that removes records of non-convictions such as withdrawn, stayed, or discharged offences. Learn more.

Yes, a DUI will appear on a background check. This is because a DUI is considered a criminal offence in Canada. To remove it, you will need to apply for a Record Suspension. Learn more. 

Record Suspension FAQs

A Record Suspension is an opportunity to move on from the barriers caused by a criminal record. Regardless of whether the offence is old or minor, a criminal record stays with you permanently unless you take steps to request a suspension. Learn more.

You apply for a pardon in Canada by making a Record Suspension application through the Parole Board of Canada. This is the government body that reviews and approves applications. Learn more. 

Yes, a Record Suspension is the same as a pardon. Until the government of Canada changed the name in 2012, a record suspension was called a pardon. Learn more. 

Fortunately, most people with criminal records in Canada can apply for a pardon. A pardon is called a Record Suspension in Canada. Many people who live with the barrier of the criminal record have the chance to move on, provided they complete the necessary steps. Learn more.  

It can take anywhere from 12 months to two years to obtain a pardon. As with any government process, getting a pardon, now called Record Suspension, is not automatic. Learn more. 

It costs $631 to get a pardon in Canada. However, there are expenses other than the application cost to consider. The Canadian government has steadily increased the basic application fee over the years. Learn more. 

A pardon doesn’t erase a criminal record, but it does seal it.  Technically, the criminal record can come back if the Record Suspension is revoked. Once your Record Suspension is approved, your conviction no longer appears in the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database. Learn more.

You should get a Record Suspension in order to put the past behind you and move forward with confidence. A Record Suspension will remove the barriers that may hold you back and open up more opportunities. Learn more. 

Yes, a Record Suspension or pardon can be revoked. This may happen, if you no longer appear to be living a law-abiding lifestyle. For example, the Parole Board of Canada can revoke a pardon or Record Suspension for the following reasons. Learn more. 

The limitations of a Record Suspension or pardon include the fact that your record will still exist, but it will be sealed. A Record Suspension will seal your federal criminal record, but it cannot completely erase the fact that you ever had a conviction. Learn more.

You do not need a lawyer or any sort of representation in order to apply for a Canadian Record Suspension (pardon). All the required forms, as well as instructions for the application, can be obtained from the Parole Board of Canada’s website. Learn more. 

The process to obtain a Record Suspension (pardon) involves obtaining your records and filing an application with the Parole Board of Canada. The time to acquire a Canadian Record Suspension varies. Learn more. 

US Waiver FAQs

Yes, you can travel to the USA with a criminal record. You may already be eligible or you may need to apply for a waiver. This document, provided by the Department of Homeland Security, overrides the personal discretion of border security officers. Learn more. 

A US Entry Waiver, which is sometimes referred to as an I-192 application or an “Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant,” is a document that allows a non-U.S. citizen temporary access into the United States. Learn more. 

A US Entry Waiver is generally good for one to five years. US Entry Waivers are essential documents for Canadians who have a criminal record and need to travel to the US. Learn more. 

To renew a US Entry Waiver, you should follow the same process you took on your initial waiver. That’s why it’s a good idea to photocopy your Waiver application and store it in a safe place before delivering the original to the border. Learn more. 

Whether or not you need a US Entry Waiver depends on the type of offence on your record. If you travel to the United States, you do not want any hassles at the border. Learn more. 

Yes, you can enter the US with a DUI in most cases. It is unlikely that a DUI conviction will prevent you from entering the US unless there are multiple offences or there are additional charges. Learn more. 

To apply for a US Entry Waiver you need to put together an application package demonstrating that you are now a law-abiding person who poses no risk to the country. Learn more. 

It takes roughly a year to get a US Entry Waiver. Without one, a criminal record can be a barrier to travel to the US from Canada. A US Entry Waiver eliminates that barrier by providing approval to enter the country. Learn more. 

Yes, you may need a US Entry Waiver even if you have a pardon. The United States makes its own rules about who is allowed to cross the border into its territory. Learn more. 

No, you do not require a lawyer to apply for a US Entry Waiver. All the required forms, as well as instructions for the application, can be obtained from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency’s website. Learn more. 

The documentation required for a US Entry Waiver includes: 1)  Evidence of citizenship; 2) Completed I-192 and G-325a forms; 3) A copy of your criminal record: 4) Certified records; and, 5) Payment. Learn more.

A granted Record Suspension or pardon will affect your US Entry Waiver application by adding some extra steps. Once you have a pardon or granted Record Suspension, any associated information located at the court level will be sealed, limiting future access. Learn more. 

No, not all convictions will make you inadmissible to the United States. The principle criteria for whether a not an offence will render you inadmissible to the United States is if it is deemed an offence of “moral turpitude”. Learn more. 

You may or may not be eligible for a US Entry Waiver. Unlike a Canadian pardon or Record Suspension, there are no set eligibility requirements for US Entry Waivers. Learn more. 

The limitations of a US Entry Waiver are the fact that it is temporary, you could be denied for something unrelated to your record and you cannot live, work or study in the US with just a waiver. Learn more. 

The US Entry Waiver cost is $585 USD, which you must pay on submitting your application. Most Canadians submit their application at a port of entry. Learn more. 

Canadian Waiver FAQs

You will need a Temporary Resident Permit if you have a DUI or a serious criminal record and it has been less than five years since you completed the conditions of your sentence. Learn more. 

Criminal Rehabilitation is a permanent waiver that allows you to enter Canada with a criminal record. If you have been convicted of an offence outside of Canada, you may be inadmissible to enter the country. Learn more.

You may be able to travel to Canada with a criminal record with a minor offence as long as it is not DUI. However, for many offences, the government of Canada may consider you to be “criminally inadmissible.” Learn more.

In most cases you cannot enter Canada with a DUI. Individuals with a criminal record, including Americans with DUI convictions, may be denied entry. Learn more. 

You can usually apply for Canadian rehabilitation five years after a sentence ends. People who have been convicted of a crime outside of Canada are usually inadmissible to enter Canada. Learn more.