Woman sits with computer and phone, man walks by on phone

A summary offence is a less serious offence. It’s similar to the American concept of “misdemeanour”, but not exactly the same. In Canada, criminal offences are divided into two major categories: summary or indictable. Hybrid offences may be treated as either summary or indictable. If you have a criminal record for a summary offence, the waiting period is five years after the completion of your sentence before you can apply for a record suspension, also called a pardon.

Summary offences are considered less serious offences under the Criminal Code. The maximum sentence is usually a $5,000 fine or up to six months in jail, although it may be higher for certain offences. If you do not know whether your conviction was a summary or indictable offence, you may be able to get that information from your court records.

Examples of summary offences include making harassing phone calls, taking a motor vehicle, and causing a disturbance. Some hybrid offences include uttering threats and assault.

When the Parole Board of Canada receives an application for a Record Suspension for a summary offence, it is supposed to render a decision within six months. However, due to backlog and government delays, as well as the long process of putting the application together to begin with, it could take a total time of two years to get your pardon.

Even if your conviction was based on a summary offence and you have completed your time, your criminal record can prevent you from getting a job or travelling freely outside of Canada. You can request a Record Suspension in order to help you move forward. Our experts can help you work efficiently to get it done as soon as possible.

Are you qualified? Find out today!

Oops! We could not locate your form.