In most cases you cannot enter Canada with a DUI. Individuals with a criminal record, including Americans with DUI convictions, may be denied entry. The offence does not have to have been committed inside of Canada in order for you to be barred from coming into the country.

Non-Canadians are denied entry into Canada because of DUI convictions, theft, assault, manslaughter and drug offences. Equivalent crimes in Canada are found in the country’s Criminal Code and Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. However, if you have a criminal record, you can take steps to overcome your inadmissibility.

If the DUI took place in Canada, you can apply for a Record Suspension, also called a pardon, from the Parole Board of Canada. You may also get a Temporary Resident Permit if you can provide a compelling reason to be in Canada and convince an immigration officer you pose little risk to the safety of Canadians.

You may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit even if it has been less than five years since you finished your sentence and you are not yet eligible for criminal rehabilitation.

If your DUI conviction happened many years ago, and you finished your sentence at least 10 years ago, you may be deemed rehabilitated by Canadian authorities. Even if not enough time has passed, you may apply for criminal rehabilitation after five years.

You can get advice and guidance on what process is best for you to ensure your ability to enter Canada. Whether your best option is a Temporary Resident Permit, criminal rehabilitation or requesting a pardon within Canada, there are experts on hand to help you through it.