You will need a Temporary Resident Permit if you have a DUI or a serious criminal record and it has been less than five years since you completed the conditions of your sentence.

A Temporary Resident Permit is required if you have an offence that could be considered indictable under the Canadian Criminal Code. This includes DUI and all other impaired driving offences. You may not need a Temporary Resident Permit if enough time has passed that you can apply for Criminal Rehabilitation or be Deemed Rehabilitated.

If you have been denied entry into Canada, you may still have a need to visit or spend time in the country. Even though you may be otherwise inadmissible to Canada, you may be issued a Temporary Resident Permit. The TRP allows you to enter Canada and stay for a specific period of time.

In order to get a Temporary Resident Permit, you must have compelling reasons for wanting to come to Canada. In addition, your presence must outweigh any risk to Canadians or Canadian society. Normally, it is an immigration or border services officer who will make the determination.

The time period for the Temporary Resident Permit is specific and tied to the purpose of your visit. The government of Canada gives the example that you may want a TRP for one week to attend a conference. You must receive a new TRP or leave the country before your permit expires.

You should apply for a Temporary Resident Permit if other avenues for overcoming criminal inadmissibility to Canada are closed to you. For example, if it has been less than five years since you finished serving your sentence for a criminal conviction, you are not yet eligible for criminal rehabilitation. Additionally, although you can apply for a Record Suspension in Canada, it may be some time before it is approved and you may require more urgent entry into the country.

If you have been deemed inadmissible to Canada, do not lose hope. There are steps you can take to restore your mobility and take care of your obligations in the country. You can get help with this process.