An indictable offence is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada that carries more serious penalties. This often includes jail time. If you were convicted of an indictable offence, you must wait 10 years after the completion of your sentence before requesting a pardon.

Indictable offences carry heavy penalties. Some have mandatory minimum sentences, and some may carry a maximum of life in prison. But, even those convicted of indictable offences, which include theft over $5,000, aggravated assault, fraud over $5,000, arson and robbery, can get a second chance to move on from their criminal record.

You can request a record suspension if it has been more than 10 years since you paid all fines, retribution and penalties associated with the conviction and finished any jail time. In addition, you must show good conduct by not having any subsequent offences. Then you can apply to the Parole Board of Canada to have your criminal record removed from the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database.

The Parole Board is supposed to issue a decision about pardons for indictable offences within one year of receiving a completed application. Because the process of putting together your materials may be lengthy, you may want to get started as soon as possible.

You can get help to apply for a record suspension after a conviction for an indictable offence. Taking the first steps now can get you on the road to a more positive future.