If it has been five years or more since you completed the sentence, a new option for DUI Canada entry becomes available.

If you have had to enter Canada within five years of getting a DUI, you may have applied for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). Possibly, you simply avoided entering Canada due to the complexity of the application or not having a good reason to enter.

However, now that it has been five years since the conviction, a new option for DUI Canada entry becomes available.

DUI Canada entry with Criminal Rehabilitation

A Criminal Rehabilitation carries more benefits for applicants than a TRP. However, it does take longer to receive. If you need to enter Canada soon, you might want to apply for both the TRP and the Criminal Rehabilitation at the same time.

Some of the benefits of a Criminal Rehabilitation application are:

  • It’s a permanent solution. As long as you keep your record clear, you can continue to enter Canada.
  • No more planning and waiting. If you have been relying on TRPs, you know that you can’t get one right away. You need to plan the dates of your trip and then request a TRP. A Criminal Rehabilitation takes a long time to receive, but once you have it you can enter whenever you want.
  • You don’t need a compelling reason to enter. Once you have an approved Criminal Rehabilitation you can enter for day trips, concerts, sporting events, fishing, camping, boating or other casual reasons.
  • Don’t waste money on travel plans that fall through. If you have ever tried to apply for a TRP at the border, you know that it can be a nail-biting experience. You can be denied and lose the money you spent on your travel and accommodations. With a Criminal Rehabilitation, you can travel with confidence.
  • Don’t get denied. TRP applications done through the Consulate have a higher approval rate, but they can still be denied. If you have already had a TRP and are eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation, but have not applied, your subsequent TRP applications could be denied.

How to enter Canada with a Criminal Rehabilitation application

A Criminal Rehabilitation application allows you travel with confidence like any other American entering Canada. However, keep in mind that for any non-Canadian it is ultimately up to the border guard that you encounter at the point of entry to decide to let you in to the country. Have the right documents, follow the rules and have a legitimate reason for entering the country to avoid problems.

Like a TRP, a Criminal Rehabilitation application requires a lot of documentation to convince the Canadian officials that you are rehabilitated. They will want to see evidence such as:

  • Police checks
  • Fine payment records
  • Character references
  • Proof of employment

It can take up to a year to have your application approved after submitting it.

If you need to enter Canada with a DUI, AllCleared can help you identify the best options for your situation. Contact our client advisors for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366.