There are two ways to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) – at the border (port of entry) and through the Canadian Consulate.

A Temporary Resident Permit is a waiver that allows entry to a person who is inadmissible to Canada. A common reason for US residents to be inadmissible to Canada is a DUI or other criminal record. A TRP can be issued for up to three years with multiple entries, so it’s important to be clear in your application package about your reasons for travel and the length of time you need the permit to cover.

When do you need a Temporary Resident Permit?

If it has been less than five years since the completion of the sentence, or if you don’t have time to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation, you will need a TRP to enter Canada.

Preparing the application

In order to prepare your application for a TRP, you will need to collect several documents. AllCleared offers registered immigration services to help you prepare this package.

Some of the documents you will need are:

  • Completed application form
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Personal letter
  • Court documents and evidence of sentence completion
  • Copy of the equivalent Canadian law
  • Itinerary
  • Character references
  • Fee

Applying at the border

Sometimes people don’t have time to make an application at the Canadian Consulate. It can take up to a year to get a TRP through the Consulate. There are many reasons why a US resident might need a permit faster:

  • Family reasons
  • Business meetings or conferences
  • Medical procedures
  • Work or study permits

Although millions of Americans make vacation trips to Canada each year, this is often not a good enough reason to apply at the port of entry. Consider a port of entry application to be an “urgent” application. Reasons that are economic or humanitarian in nature will have a greater chance of success.

The process to apply for a port of entry TRP is to bring your prepared application with you on your trip. Once you arrive at the border or airport, the officials will take your application and review it. This could take hours. They will then either approve it or deny it. If you are denied, you’ll have to leave immediately even if it means buying a new plane ticket.

As you can see, applying at the port of entry is risky. If you are turned away you will have wasted your trip and any money you have spent to get to Canada. If you are not sure if you have a good reason to make an application at the border, contact AllCleared for a free consultation. We can advise you, but ultimately it will be up to the border officer to approve or deny your entry.

Applying through the Consulate

Applying through the Consulate has a higher rate of approval, so it is best to take this route, especially if you plan to travel for vacation. It can take up to a year for approval, so make sure you plan ahead. This involves mailing your application and waiting for a decision.

If you would like to apply for a TRP or learn more about eligibility and entering Canada with a DUI or other criminal record, contact AllCleared today for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366.