If you have a criminal record, you may need a US Entry Waiver to enter the United States. There are many documents that you will need to collect in order to apply for a US Entry Waiver. AllCleared can help you understand what documents you need.

Each year, many Canadians are denied entry to the US. You may be denied entry at the US border if you have:

  • A communicable disease
  • Controlled substance violations
  • Immigration violations such as overstays
  • A criminal record for crimes of moral turpitude

Criminal inadmissibility will depend on a number of things including your age at the time of conviction and frequency of conviction. Depending on the nature of your conviction, you may be eligible for a US Entry Waiver. The waiver allows you to travel to the United States with a criminal record.

Applying for an Entry Waiver

The I-192 waiver application process begins with confirming your ineligibility.  This is done via fingerprint. The fingerprints are used to request your Certified Criminal Record from the RCMP.

After receiving the police record, you may order court documents to obtain your record. Your certified criminal record will detail your past convictions.

As your record is processing, you may start gathering supporting documents.

What documents do you need?

The US Department of Homeland Security requires a number of documents demonstrating your rehabilitation. You will likely be asked to provide:


  • A personal statement allows you to explain the circumstances of your inadmissibility, your rehabilitation and your reasons for traveling
  • Letters of reference allow others to testify to your rehabilitation
  • Proof of employment and income demonstrates stability and supports your nonimmigrant status
  • Other proof of related rehabilitation such as drug test results for drug-related inadmissibility

Your application will also consist of the

  • I-192 form also known as The Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant
  • G-325A form which provides your biographical information

Note that you will also be required to present regular travel documents such as proof of Canadian citizenship. As a non-immigrant, you may also be asked to demonstrate your intent to return to Canada.

After gathering all necessary documents, you may present your application, along with a processing fee, to an authorized port of entry.

A US Entry Waiver application is a complex process that requires many steps. If you are ready to get started on your application, contact us today for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366.