TRP processing time can depend on a variety of factors.

Firstly, there are three ways to overcome inadmissibility to Canada.  Inadmissibility could be caused by a DUI or other type of criminal record. The time frames will vary based on the waiver you need.

  1. One option is to obtain an emergency temporary waiver. In this case we will put together an application that you will take to the “port of entry.” Port of entry could mean an actual port, but more likely it is an airport or border crossing. This option is only recommended for true emergencies as it has a high rate of denial.
  2. The second option is to apply at a Canadian consulate for a temporary waiver or Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is recommended if you need to travel and it has been less than five years since the completion of your sentence.
  3. After five years you may be eligible for a permanent waiver. This is called “criminal rehabilitation.” This application will take longer than the TRP. If you have plans to travel, you might want to apply for both the TRP and the criminal rehabilitation at the same time.

TRP processing time

Both the second and third application can take some time, so it is important to plan ahead. It will usually take one to six months to process a non-emergency TRP. Before you can submit your application, we will need to gather some information, such as police checks. This processing time frame can vary depending on the number of records and where they are kept.  Once you submit it to the government, it can take up to a year or more for them to make a decision.

Criminal rehabilitation processing time

If you are applying for a permanent rehabilitation waiver, it can take up to two years for the government to make a decision. If you have serious charges attracting a maximum prison sentence of 10 years or more, you may be looking at the maximum wait time.

Given the lengthy processing time, it’s important to ensure that your application is submitted correctly the first time. Having to add more information and collect new documents can add needless delays.

Living in Canada

The name Temporary Resident Permit can be misleading. It’s important to remember that a successful temporary or permanent waiver application does not permit you to live, study or work in Canada. You may need to apply for additional permits depending on your reasons for entering Canada.

If you want to enter Canada, we can help. Contact us today for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366.