If you are inadmissible to Canada due to past criminal activity, you may be eligible to come to Canada depending on how much time has passed since you have completed your sentences and the nature of your convictions. Regardless of the type of application you are eligible for, the Canadian Consulate requires an initial Application Fee (known as the Canada Rehabilitation Application Fee) of $200 CAD.

The most common reason for criminal inadmissibility is a DUI charge. People with more than 1 or more recent DUI convictions, are likely to be turned away from entering Canada. Other crimes that can cause criminal inadmissibility include theft, reckless driving and assault.

To see what type of application you may be eligible for, see TRP or Criminal Rehabilitation?


What is the Canada Rehabilitation Application Fee?

The Canadian Rehabilitation Application Fee for the amount of $200 CAD is payable directly to the Canadian Consulate. You will need to show proof of this payment before your application is processed. The following applications require proof of payment for the Criminal Rehabilitation Application Fee:

  1. TRP Applications (Non-Serious Criminality Fee);
  2. Individual Criminal Rehabilitation Application (Non-Serious Criminality Fee);
  3. Deemed Rehabilitation Application Fee  (Non-Serious Criminality Fee).

After a preliminary review of a submitted application, the Canadian Consulate may request for an additional Fee of $800 CAD, referred to as the Serious Criminality Fee.This additional fee does not include the Canada Rehabilitation Application fee of $200 CAD.


How do I know if I will have to Pay the Serious Criminality Fee?

The decision to request for the additional Serious Criminality Fee of $800 CAD is solely at the discretion of a senior official who will be reviewing your application. The additional fee may be requested anywhere from three weeks to two months after you have submitted your application and paid the initial Canada Rehabilitation Application Fee. The official reviewing your application may also request for additional documentation along with the additional payment. Typically, you have 30 days to pay the Fee once it is requested by the Consulate. Extensions may be granted on a case by case basis.


How do I know if the Serious Criminality Fee will be applied to my application?

In order to determine whether or not you are likely to have to pay the serious criminality fee, please see the criteria for ‘Serious Criminality’ 


How Do I Pay the Canada Rehabilitation Fee/ Serious Criminality Fee?

If you are currently located outside of Canada, you may visit the Government of Canada’s online payment portal to pay the applicable fees.


What If I was Deported from Canada? Do I have to pay the Canadian Rehabilitation Application Fee?

No. You will need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)  Application. The fee for this application is $400 CAD. Find out more information on how to come back to Canada with a criminal record after deportation here.

Further information can also be found at CBSA, US customs, and the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) website on past records or convictions.


If you would like to enter Canada with a DUI or other serious criminality, contact AllCleared today for a free consultation at 1 (866) 972-7366.