Here’s what to do if you are at the US border, but you are being denied entry:

1) Remain calm.
Aggressive behavior can result in the US border guard making a record of this behaviour and this may have a detrimental effect on applying for re-entry to the United States at a later date. The good news is, once a US Entry Waiver is in place, future visits to the US are allowed and will be problem free.

2) Ask why you are being denied entry.
In many cases a minor criminal offence committed many years ago, which has been forgotten about or may seem insignificant, is the reason for the denial.

3) Forms need to be completed.
The Border Guard may provide forms which could include an application to apply for re-entry. Individuals can either start the process to apply for re-entry themselves or outsource the task to a US entry waiver specialist, like Pardon Services Canada, since almost half of the applications completed by individuals are not successful due to the length and complexity of the process.

4) Plan ahead.
Apply for a US Entry Waiver well in advance of anticipated travel. Approval by the US Department of Homeland Security can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months.

5) Travel with a US Entry Waiver
Even with a pardoned criminal record (now called a record suspension), a US Entry Waiver may still be required. Certain criminal convictions will result in denied entry unless a waiver is presented to US border officials.

If you are a Canadian denied entry to the United States, contact us today to find out how we can help at 1-866-972-7366.

And for our friends South of the border, if you find yourself denied entry to Canada when trying to cross the border for a DUI/DWI or other conviction, we offer travel waivers to Canada.