There are different types of visas in Canada i.e. Temporary Visa, Study Visa, Work Visa, and Permanent Resident. Depending upon your objectives and personal conditions there are many ways of obtaining Canadian visas and permanent residency.

  • Temporary Visas: Canadian Temporary Visa is a great option for those who wish to come to Canada for studies, work or for vacations. If you are planning to be in Canada only for a limited period of time, then a Temporary Visa is the best option for you. The following are the temporary visas explained in detail.


    • Student Visas: The benefit of studying in Canada is that you get the right to bring your family as well as a spouse with you. You can also apply for an open work permit in Canada after the completion of your Studies. It is the ideal destination for International Students as the Canadian government provides the complete right and freedom of work while studying.


    • Work Permits: By working in Canada you can gain Canadian work experience which can help you to become eligible for settling here permanently. You require the experience of working in Canada if you wish to apply for Provincial Nominee or Canadian Express Class. If you are not eligible for the federal skilled worker program, then working in Canada can be your ticket to the Canadian Permanent Residence. If you are applying under any of the Canadian Work Permits, i.e. Traditional Labor Market Impact Assessment work permit, North American Free Trade Agreement work permit or Live-in Caregiver work permit, you require a job offer.


      • Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP): Live-in caregivers are those specially qualified to provide care for children, Disabled or elderlies in private homes without any caretakers. On getting the visa, caretakers are allowed to stay in private homes in Canada. The processing of this visa takes time as it requires proper work experience, a good hold of English or French language and a high school diploma. Under this program, you will have to provide care of at least 30 hours a week to children (under 18 years of age), the elderly (65 or over) or a Disabled Person.
      • Post Graduate Work Permit: After graduation, a lot of students want to get some work experience and Canada and ask whether they can find a job and stay for some time. The Canadian Government allows this if the student who just graduated is eligible and approved for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada. The PGWP allows the graduate student to stay in Canada and work for a Canadian company depending on the duration of their studies and their eligibility.
      • Working Holiday Visa: The Working Holiday Visa is a Canadian work visa that grants work and travels Canada opportunities to young people (usually students) to go to Canada to get a job and visit the best places in the country. This visa is part of the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, which allows youth to work and travel, work in Canada as a Young Professional, or get an International Internship.

To qualify for the IEC and for the Working Holiday Canada, your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada to exchange young workers, or you can contact a Recognized Organization (RO). These recognized organizations help young people with their applications and in getting a job for a fee for IEC Canada.

    • Visitor Visa: The Visitor Visa is a Temporary Resident Visa for Canada which allows the holder to go to Canada for purposes such as:
      • Tourism or holidays in Canada;
      • Visiting family;

The Canada Tourist Visa allows you to go to a Canadian port of entry and ask for permission to enter the country. If you cannot prove that you are eligible for the Canada Visitor visa, then they will reject you based on the fact that you are inadmissible in Canada. If you are proven to be inadmissible, then your only way of getting into the country is to get a Temporary Resident Permit.

    • Visa for the Purpose of Giving Birth: The visa for women to give birth in Canada is a simple Temporary Resident Visa. This visa is temporary, usually valid for 6 months or less. It allows the person to go to Canada to visit family, friends, or travel, but at the same time go to a hospital and seek assistance in giving birth. It does not allow the woman to claim medical and social benefits given to Canadian citizens. It also does not allow the woman to stay permanently in Canada, apply for citizenship, or try to apply for Canadian issued documents.

It only allows the woman to go to the hospital and pay for the treatment to give birth. Once she gives birth, the child automatically becomes a Canadian citizen and may claim a Canadian passport even if the parents are not residents or citizens.

    • Super Visa: Otherwise known as the Parent Visa in Canada or the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, it allows these close relatives to visit their children and grandchildren for a set period of time. The children or grandchildren must be Canadian Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens.

Whereas the Visitor Visa could be used for this purpose, the Super Visa was created to lengthen the time that parents and grandparents could stay with their loved ones. The Super Visa allows them to stay for up to 2 years at a time in Canada with their children and grandchildren if they fulfill the requirements.

During the time that parents and grandparents are in Canada with the Super Visa, they are not allowed to work or enroll in any part-time or full-time studies. They are also not allowed to try and get Canadian documents or Canadian benefits such as health care coverage. They are only allowed to stay with their relatives and visit the country.

    • Intending Organ Donors Visa: The demand for organs is very high in every country and there are many sick people who are waiting for a potential transplant or organ donor. Because of this, the Canadian Government created the Intending Organ Donors visa.

It allows the person to come to Canada for a short period of time, usually 6 months or less. The person is not allowed to try and get Canadian citizenship, Canadian issued documents or Canadian benefits such as social security or health insurance.

The person is only allowed to go to Canada and donate an organ to a person who needs it, stay in the hospital for their recovery and then return to their home country. In this case, the hospital stay could be covered by the person receiving the organ or by any other humanitarian organization which facilitates organ donations in Canada.


  • Permanent Residency: On January 1, 2015, the Canadian government launched its “Express Entry” system for skilled foreign workers who are applying for a Permanent Resident (PR) Visa to Canada through the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), and Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program. A key goal of the “Express Entry” program was to speed up the process of approving qualified skilled foreign workers for a PR Visa to Canada so they can help meet the needs of Canadian businesses. There are several ways to obtain a Permanent Residency in Canada whether you are currently in Canada or not.


    • Business Class Immigration: Business Class Immigration is divided into three categories, i.e. Quebec, Federal, and some provinces have their own Provincial Nomination Programs. The end results of these programs provide the same result, i.e. Permanent Residence of Canada. You can only select this option if you have a net worth exceeding $300,000 CAD.
    • Federal Skilled Worker Visa: The foreign nationals who wish to acquire permanent residence in Canada can apply for a federal skilled worker category (FSWC) visa application either outside or inside of Canada. After applying, the applicants are ranked on a point system on the bases of various factors such as their qualifications, work experience, knowledge of English and French languages. In order to qualify, the skilled workers require at least 67 points out of 100 and the minimum work experience of one year.
    • Canadian Experience Class Visa: The applicants who are already in Canada on a temporary work permit can apply for Canadian Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class. This visa application is especially for those with skilled work experience in Canada, but requires minimum experience of one year in Canada and must meet English and French language requirements.
    • Federal Skilled Trades Program: The applicants who are qualified in a skilled trade get an opportunity to quickly become a Permanent Resident of Canada by applying their application under the Canadian Federal Skilled Trades Program. This program was developed by the Canadian Government and Immigration Department in 2013 to indicate that there is a shortage of skilled workers in areas where rapid growth is experienced due to the increase in economic strength. To apply under this program applicant needs to have one-year full-time experience in particular trade in the last five years to the time when the application was lodged. Applicants who have experience of part-time work that adds up to two years of full-time work also qualify for this program. Basically experience of total 3,120 hours over a period of two years. They also need to show proof of an offer letter that they have received for a full-time job. Along with this, their English language proficiency is also checked for eligibility.
    • Provincial Nomination Programs: Unfortunately the applicants who couldn’t secure Permanent Residence through Skilled Worker Visa, can still hope and apply under PNP, i.e. Provincial Nomination Program. It is for low skilled professionals who can still come to Canada and contribute to its economic growth. Under this, you will be nominated for a particular province of Canada that is looking for employees in a certain field. The required Professions frequently change in each province. But before applying you must receive a provincial nomination certificate from a Canadian province or territory and make a different application to the CIC, i.e. Citizenship and Immigration Canada to receive a PR permit.
    • Quebec-selected Skilled Workers Program: This program attracts skilled workers from all around the world to immigrate here and contribute to the economic growth of the nation by utilizing their education, talent, work experience, and skills. Criteria have been established by the Canadian government, which all the foreign nations will have to follow before applying for Permanent Residence under this program. Once the provincial government of Quebec provides you a Quebec Selection Certificate you may then proceed to apply for Canadian Immigration and a Permanent Residence visa under the national government.
    • Family Sponsorship Program: The Canadian government provides you a chance to make your family a part of your new life in Canada. Once you have obtained the Permanent Residence of Canada, you are allowed to sponsor your spouse, dependent children, Common-law partner, Conjugal partner, parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents, grandchildren and also give them a chance to become a permanent resident of Canada. This is a good option because your family can also enjoy the benefits of Canadian residency, i.e. being able to study, live and work in the country.

To learn which visa would best suit your needs, keep an eye out for our other posts to help you with your immigration process or simply contact us at 1-866-972-7366. We look forward to hearing from you.